Week 14 Lab: Microfiction

896,981 Writing Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

I've already written several micro fictions for this class, but I had never read any written by others. Some of the stories I read were supposed to evoke an emotion, whether it be nostalgia or fear. They didn't tell a story, really. But they did what good stories do - make you feel something. For example, this microfiction by Joe R. Lansdale that I read on NPR's website: 
They buried him deep. Again.

Although this example does not really tell a story, it still is chilling and supposed to make you feel afraid. This story is also an example of a technique I noticed - how titles are used to lengthen and clarify the story. The title is sometimes the most helpful tool that writes of flash fiction have. For example, when I read the flash fiction below by John Cashman, I was confused as to what the story was about until I read the title. 
Penelope was wakened by the cheers from the agora. She turned to the man in her bed and whispered, "What have I done?"

This example is also great because it fits into the theme of this class - mythology. What if Penelope had caved and married one of her suitors before Odysseus came home? This microfiction sets up the premise for a longer story. Some of the micro fictions I read, however, felt complete on their own. For example, the story below by Hope Patterson for The New York Times:
Mrs. Abby played guitar. She was young and beautiful, and I loved her so. She let me stay in at recess even though that was her break time. I don’t remember much about third grade in 1970, but I knew my teacher loved me when it felt like no one else did, and that was enough to get me through a day. I’ve been teaching for 25 years now. Sometimes there are students who need to know their teacher loves them when no one else does. Sometimes they stay in at recess. Sometimes I play the guitar.

This story is pretty simple but it comes full circle. It begins and ends with a teacher playing guitar, and in only 100 words perfectly encapsulates the way that a loving teacher can impact her students. Before this assignment, I don't think I had taken microfiction very seriously. But now I think I would enjoy reading it on its own!

Image information: "Writing"

Comments

  1. Hi Rachel,

    Wow, this is definitely something that I haven't read about before in terms of someone's thoughts on the short stories itself. I very much enjoy the creativity! In addition, I think you chose very good microfictions in order to explore and provide your thoughts. One of my favorites from this compilation is "The Return," which in itself is less than 10 words. However, in those ten words, it does tell a very emotion-evoking story that leaves the readers wanting to know more. I think that is one of the main purposes of the microfictions themselves. I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts