Famous Last Words: Reflections

Harlem 100 Featuring Mwenso & The Shakes | Mayo Performing Arts Center
A poster from the Harlem Renaissance.

This week my best writing was for my Storybook project. I rewrote a Japanese myth about the sun goddess Amaterasu. I think I do my best writing for the Storybook project because I’m enjoying it the most. Honestly, I’m enjoying my Storybook project a lot more than I originally thought I would! I didn’t anticipate getting really into Japanese mythology, but I’ve loved diving into all the different sources and learning about various characters. It’s also encouraged me to do more research into Japanese history so that I can understand the background of the myths and how they’re understood today. 

In my other classes, things are starting to get really busy. I have a draft of a paper due tomorrow that I haven’t started yet. I should be able to finish it tomorrow, though, because it’s less of a rough draft and more of an outline. I don’t have any classes tomorrow though, so I should be able to get it done. I’m in a class this semester called “The Harlem Renaissance,” which has the most connections to this class. We read a lot of works from the early/mid 1900s that all focus on the experience of African-Americans. A lot of the stories we have read are similar to sci-fi and rely on a lot of symbolism to communicate their messages. This element of their storytelling reminds me of several myths or folktales I’ve read this semester for this class. 

Next week, I’m looking forward to finishing up my Storybook project for this class. I want to write one more story and also edit the layout of the website some more before I finish it up! I’m also really looking forward to Winter break this year. One of roommates is getting married, and I’m going to be a bridesmaid. I’ve never been in a wedding before and I’m really excited! 

Comments

Popular Posts