Week 12 Reading: Robin Hood, Part A

Robin Hood: The Butcher

Since I was a little girl, I've loved stories about Robin Hood. I used to watch the Disney movie all the time, but I also had a book of stories about him that I would read over and over again. I wanted to be one of his Merry Men and live in the forrest - I thought it seemed like a really charmed way to live. I thought this story about the butcher was cute, and I hadn't ever heard it before.

- Robin Hood runs into a butcher who is headed to Nottingham with his meats to sell
- Robin Hood offers to buy the man's horse and all his wares 
- the butcher agrees
- Robin Hood goes into town disguised as a butcher and sets up shop next to the other butchers
- He sells so much more than all of them, and they are all curious as to who he is
- Robin Hood is very young, and they've never seen him before
- They invite him to dine with them after the day is over, and Robin agrees
- They head to the Sheriff's house for dinner
- The Sheriff wonders who Robin Hood is, and the other butchers say that they think he just inherited all his land and may be looking to sell
- The Sheriff asks Robin Hood if this is the case, and Robin confirms 
- The Sheriff goes with Robin Hood to look at what he has to sell, and Robin Hood takes him to Sherwood Forest
- Once there, the Sheriff begins to realize that something is going on and Robin Hood blows on his horn and Little John and the Merry Men show up
- They send the Sheriff back home and Robin Hood says "please commend me to your wife"

I thought this story was funny because it was basically just a prank to prove that Robin Hood has more power than the Sheriff. Even though Robin Hood doesn't actually hurt the Sheriff or anything like that, he still has a victory because the Sheriff knows that Robin Hood managed to sneak into town, eat dinner at his own house, and trick him into coming back to Sherwood with him. 

Archaeology and History of medieval Sherwood Forest - Medieval Archives
A Medieval painting of Sherwood Forest

Story source: The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child (1882-1898).

Comments

Popular Posts