Famous Last Words: Reflections

This past week went well for me overall. I went to visit a friend of mine who lives in Chicago over the weekend, so I was running behind on the assignments for Wednesday and Thursday. Thankfully I got them in before the grace period ended though! I think the best writing I did last week was for the micro-fiction I wrote for extra credit. I wrote two 100 word stories about the time that a tornado hit my grandma’s house. After publishing them on my blog, I expanded them a bit and wrote a longer piece just for fun about that time in my childhood. The tornado hit just a few months before my grandma passed away, so it is one of the last really memorable moments I have of her. It was really cathartic for me to write about that. Even though it happened a long time ago, it was meaningful for me to be able to put it down in writing. It was also nice to take a moment just to be quiet and reflect, given how hectic these past two weeks have been for me. There was the ice storm and then the election. In between that time, I also submitted all of my law school applications. There was just a lot of space in my brain taken up with thinking about the future - my future plans, what the political future of our country would be - and I think I was neglecting the present. Taking a second to reflect on a moment from my childhood gave me some needed headspace to think about other things in my life besides what’s going to happen in the future. Writing can really help me focus my thoughts, so I think I need to spend more time in the future journaling! 

Closeup Photo of Journal Book and Pencils
Journaling can be a great way to destress!



Comments

Popular Posts