Week 7 EC: Microfiction

Why the Sun Rises Every Day:

One day, the sun goddess Amaterasu was spinning at her loom, when her stormy brother and enemy Susanoo burst in and killed one of her handmaidens. Grieving, Amaterasu fled to a cave, and the sun disappeared. In the darkness, the frightened inhabitants of the earth devised a plan. The Goddess of Laughter helped the humans by laughing and dancing outside the cave. Within the shadowy cavern, Amaterasu stirred and peaked outside. The people held up a large mirror. When Amaterasu saw her reflection, she thought it was a rival! She exited the cave, and the sun’s been shining ever since.

Two Sentence Version:

The sun goddess hid herself in a cave, grieving the death of a friend. Tricked by the people into peaking outside, she beheld her reflection in a carefully positioned mirror, and not wanting to be replaced as goddess of the sun, returned to her place in the sky.

Japanese-art
The Rising Sun, an important symbol in Japanese mythology and art. 
https://www.pixelle.co/sun-japanese-art/

Author's Note: I adapted the story I read about earlier this week - the Japanese myth about the sun goddess Amaterasu - to exactly 100 words and then to only two sentences. The story is pretty simple when you break it down. I liked the process of deconstructing the story to only its essential elements. It forces you to understand the story at a deeper level. Since I will definitely use this story in my final project, it is helpful for me to give it some thought, especially since I will be retelling it!

Bibliography: "The Miraculous Mirror,"  Romance of Old Japan, Part I: Mythology and Legend by E. W. Champney and F. Champney (1917).

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this story. I have not read the original but you did such a great job of making the story clear and concise that I feel like I have. More so, I like your reasoning behind breaking a story down. I think it is very insightful to get to the roots of the story by retelling it in short forms. I am curious to see what was cut from the original. Overall wonderful storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel!
    I really enjoyed your microfictions of the story. It was very easy to read and understand what was happening without having any background knowledge on the original story. I can appreciate the steps you took to make the retelling and hope that it will help you on your final project. I think that you had a very good title for the first story and hope that it is also applied to the two sentence version as it helps give your story some context.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts