The Computer Programmer

"Coding Literacy is the Way of the Future"

Once upon a time, there was a lowly computer programmer who worked for a big tech corperation. She lived in a tiny apartment and went to work every day in her cubicle. She typed at her computer, writing new codes and fixing old ones, and ran errands for her boss. Generally, she was rather unhappy with her job. One day she watched her boss walk past her cubicle to the big glass elevator. Her boss was dressed in the finest clothes and jewelry, and was headed to a big meeting upstairs.  The computer programer whispered to herself, "I wish I could be her." Little did she know, but a lucky spirit who lived in her cubicle had heard her request, and transformed her into a CEO. 

For a while, she was content and happy. She went on the most luxurious vacations, and enjoyed bossing her employees around. But after a time, she grew upset. No matter how much authority she had at her business, she still was bound by the law (in some respects). She was tired of voting for people who did not represent her interests, and wanted to be the one calling the shots. She thought to herself - "I'd like to be the president."

Hearing her request, the friendly cubicle spirit granted her wish. As the president, the woman was content for a time. She liked sitting in the situation room and having access to nuclear codes. She liked vetoing laws and making big speeches. But as her term wore on, she grew disillusioned with the role. "This is really no different than my last job - everything is just about pushing paper and it's all controlled by money. That's where the real power is. I'd like to just be money." 

The lucky cubicle spirit once again granted her request. As money, the woman felt happy. She got to travel all around the globe. Her value was never doubted. And her ebb and flow controlled the most powerful CEOs and politicians. However, eventually she began to feel controlled. So much of her was traded over the internet, sold in stocks, and wired electronically. "Being money is no fun anymore - everything is just controlled by computers now. I'd like to just be a computer." 

Once again, the friendly cubicle spirit obliged. As a computer, the woman thrived. She had access to almost all knowledge. She moved money around the globe. She knew that without her, modern life would shut down. She was finally content. 

After a long while, however, the woman-computer noticed something changing within her. "What's happening?" She thought. Her code began to shift and she felt her power being taken. "Someone is changing my code," she thought, and she cried out, "I just wish I could be a computer programmer!"

The friendly cubicle spirit turned her back into a computer programmer. And even though she had to go to work in a cubicle every day, the woman was finally happy and content. 



Author's Note: I based this story on the legend of the Stone Cutter in Japanese mythology. It's almost identical, except that I change the jobs/things that the stone cutter turns into to fit a more modern setting. Obviously, I've simplified how computer programming works, but I thought it fit the flow of the story well. I really like how in the story, the stone cutter is never content until he ends back where he started, so I tried to keep that message the same. I hope you enjoy reading it! 

Bibliography: "The Stone-Cutter," The Crimson Fairy Book by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1903).

Comments

  1. Hey Rachel, this was honestly such an interesting read because I really wasn't expecting everything that she shifted into. I know that you said you were following the original format of the story, but I'm curious if there was some deeper meaning to the transformations you gave your character? It's probably just me reading into it, but I thought they were interesting choices, and how when she transformed back into a simple computer programmer that you're able to understand why she did it. Overall, it was a good read and very creative, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hello!
    I like your retelling of the story. It was cute and silly. I think you did a great job making it into your own story. It is a typical story to be careful about what you will for, but the setting was unique.
    If I could make a few suggestions? First, give your character a name. By giving a character a name, you build the beginnings of connection with the reader. They will see your character as a person and not only words on a page. Second, your story would be improved by giving some personality to the spirit. Maybe give the spirit a small point of view? Or tell the whole story from his point of view? Or have the spirit make an appearance before the computer programmer.
    I hope this helps, and I can't wait to see what else you write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! I never got the opportunity to read the original but the way you describe this is so intriguing I might just have to look into it! I do think you could make the main character more personable. I was not able to really identify with this ambiguous protagonist. I think your readers would be more interested if they felt some sort of connection to this spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts